Total Pageviews

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Sofia - cheap and cheerful

Sofia: one of Europe's cheapest cities
When you are aware that Sofia is the cheapest city in Europe it immediately fills any backpacker/tourist with a sense of excitement. Whether it be the 'Tommy Tourist', the 'Shopaholic' or, indeed, the alcoholic.

With this in mind I thought it best to take advantage of some much needed retail therapy. This belief was enhanced by my journey from the train station to the city centre where, apart from the picturesque backdrop, the city seemed, at least on the surface, to have about as much character as a Swiss guy who was going through an identity crisis.

This initial feeling was altered a little by some of the churches and cathedrals which, apparently, were particularly attractive from the inside. I would have known this for myself, of course, had I actually experienced them but, apart from the occasional glance, I only went inside one.

You have to understand, though, that free tourist attractions are generally most attractive in expensive locations but given that Sofia was cheaper than a Northern bird on a cold November night these buildings were all too frequently ignored, much to the chagrin of one observer who I met in one of the town centre's two Irish pubs. The pub was called O' something or another, I think, and when he asked me what I had done with my day and when I responded with 'Shopping' he gave me a look of disgust.

It is important to realise this guy was one of those people who knew all about what you should and should not do when on holiday - by that I mean where to go and where not to go. Very irritating indeed. He then proceeded to tell me what I should do with my following day. I duly listened, nodded and agreed, so I guess that makes me an even bigger idiot than him.

To make matters worse the local beer in said pub was nearly as tasteless as Budweiser which I put down to some naughty tampering as the local beer, as a rule, was generally quite good.

On the same evening I encountered a rather drunk, middle-aged Austrian who, upon realising I was a tourist, he simply slurred: "Why?" I don't think he was referring to why I was a tourist but, actually, why Sofia? At least, that's what I think he meant.

A pleasant surprise, compared to other poor countries, is the lack of hasssle one receives from restaurateurs and other such marketeers.

On my last night in the city I can honestly say I had the best meal on my travels this year at an endearing little place called just off the Alabin street in the city centre.

Not only was the outside ambience great but the food was both excellent and there was plenty of it.

In addition, the street side ice-cream vendors need to be taken advantage of... By that I mean consume there ice-cream (that's not a euphemism), not... oh you know what I mean.

Finally, I urge anyone who wishes to visit the city to book their accommodation in advance. Not because it is a city bustling with tourists but because there are so few options on offer, or not to the naked eye.

No comments:

Post a Comment